As a part of our Writing Resources, we would like to offer our readers Prompts to encourage, motivate and inspire our creative writing juices. All of us, from time to time, experiences writer’s block. The best way to combat this is to exercise our skills by writing everyday to expand our minds and artistic muscles. The more we practice, the fewer blocks we will experience.
Each month we will compile a list of writing prompts to help keep your skillful energy flowing. We encourage you to share your work with this community, and to help begin the dialog. We would love to read your story, poem or any writing project that you may wish to discuss, whether it was inspired by one of our prompts or to the whim of your own imagination.
Choose one of the following prompts and start writing!
1) A female school teacher falls in love with a 17 year old boy in her class. How did this inappropriate infatuation begin and where does it lead? What, if any are the consequences?
2) Two detectives discover a conspiracy involving a chief player in the Mexican Cartel while trying to put a stop to a human trafficking ring. Where are they getting their information? How long have the two detectives been partners? What are some of their methods of survival – martial arts, kick-boxing, cage-fighting? Are the detectives male or female, or a combination? What is the conspiracy? What do the two discover about the human trafficking ring?
3) A young mom returns home after a three year absence to discover that while much is familiar, much has also changed. Her ex-husband who has been absent from their baby’s life since their split, is engaged to be married to her former best friend and the town is talking about her return. How is she received back into her hometown? What does her “best friend” think about her return?
4) A newly-wedded couple discovers after several months of marriage that their wedding was not officiated by a legal minister. What happens?
5) A young woman is tormented by her own brother, who has taken her only daughter as captive to be used to manipulate her to do his illegal bidding. Her burden is to spy on his enemy and report back to him. In return, she is permitted only glimpses of her precious and innocent daughter. If she fails her brother’s threat is of constant mistreatment to them both. What happens? With whom is she to spy? Why is her brother so horrible? What is their past and what is their future?
Have fun with these prompts and focus on the enjoyment of writing. Keep in mind that the more time we practice our craft, the more creative and proficient we will become. The rewards of completing a short story can mark the beginning of bigger and better projects to come.