Each month, Writer’s Dialog likes to offer our readers Prompts to encourage, motivate and inspire our creative writing juices. If you would like, you may choose one and write a paragraph or 3 to Share it with our community as a part of our dialog.
Experiencing a writer’s block is a part of the writing process. Rather than getting frustrated, you may find it more productive to have a plan in place to handle such challenges. A part of that plan might include, setting your project temporarily aside and using a prompt to get your words flowing again.
- She still had thirty miles to the nearest gas station, and her tank was flashing empty. Turning off the radio and air conditioner thinking that she would be able to conserve her fuel, her mind raced toward what she might do if she were to run completely out of gas. What happens? Where is she heading? What is the weather and where is her destination?
- He is studying to become a doctor and is involved in a freak accident that leaves him paralyzed from the waste down. How does he proceed? What was the “freak” accident? What happens?
- After being in the the direct path of a category 5 hurricane, and being mercifully spared, for the most part, from any major damage or real inconvenience, a man contemplates his luck…his blessings of avoiding the consequences of the experience. He considers his options after seeing the devastation and immense flooding happening in a major city nearby. He decides to load up his boat and head toward the flash flooding waters to see if he can be of service. What happens?
- A father and his young daughter are sitting at the edge of a pier on a lake fishing. What sort of conversations do they have? How old is the father and how old is the daughter? What are the fishing/weather conditions? What happens?
- He has made it almost to the top of Mt. Everest, when suddenly he falls ill with high altitude edema. He is dehydrated, and his cough is rattling with the blood that has begun to flood his lungs. At home, he has a wife who is expecting their first baby. What happens? Does he survive? If he survives, how? What happens to his young wife and unborn child?
Your work is important…